Skip to main content

At James' Weekend Reflections: Day of the Dead

linking to James' Weekend Reflections
Yes, I know that Halloween is past, but today is All Souls Day or as Mexico titles it-
Dia de los Muertos. So I feel that it is suitable.Yesterday was All Saints Day in the Catholic faith.  Father gave us a little history about this holy day-
Each time there was a martyr for his/her faith, a day was memorialized for that person.  Through the years, there were more martyrs than days in a year.  Thus, All Saints Day was formed.
I like the idea of honoring the dead the way the faithful do in Mexico. Years ago, a student's parent, originally from Mexico, celebrated Day of the Dead with my class. It impacted my first graders and me.
This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons. Information from its description page there is shown below. 
Commons is a freely licensed media file repository.
File:Mexico-Day of the Dead altar.jpg
Day of the Dead altar photographed by Steve Bridges

Comments

HansHB said…
Nice photos, lovely colours!
'Tsuki said…
Halloween is indeed past, but there is no time like the present to enjoy it, specially with a good reflection !

I went on the same path than you...

http://lunedemaledaumon.blogspot.fr/2012/11/week-end-reflection-contest-reflection.html
Nefertiti said…
joli

paix a nos morts..
Simon said…
New blog! Yay! I see you as an added follower, so it must have been a little time delay.
Thanks for stopping by. I've been really hit or miss on blogging for a long time. With winter approaching, I hope to be a little more active again.
Why not post a little after Halloween image? It works for me.

Popular posts from this blog

A Photo A Day: My Daily Sustenance, Day 355

click here for other cool shots! Blue lights reflected, the date of our fam'ly's start, makes this endearing.

Pondering about My Blog

I've been through quite a bit these past months that I haven't posted.  First, packing and moving and then unpacking . The first step of unpacking was my taking down boxes that were five and six boxes high.  About two weeks after I’d moved and was in the midst of unpacking, I developed horrendous pain in my ribs. I slathered on my gel I use to alleviate Fibromyalgia pain. Realizing that even that was not helping. Trying to make a long story short- Asked for pain pills No help; asked for another kind Doctor wanted to see me Went in- he didn’t understand why I was still in pain Sent me to get x-rays Diagnosis: compressed fracture in my 9th vertebra Cause: osteporosis Now on meds for that I’ve discovered that anytime I overdo, pain comes back, not quite full-blown, but enough that I must stop doing whatever I’m doing. That includes sitting at my computer writing. I wanted to bring my friends up-to-date; I’m pondering whether I should stop blogging altogether o

Quirky Poem

Have humans sat here? Not recently, I think. Perhaps a snow couple rested for a while, and the shadowy remnants of them remain. more Cool Clicks