Eternally in My Heart

Eternally in My Heart
Lord, grant Charles eternal rest in Your loving arms.

Friday, April 3, 2015

NONNIE'S CARPE DIEM TIME MACHINE: The Road to the Cross


Good Friday- when we
follow Christ’s path to the cross
in hopes of salvation

Inspired by Yosa Busan (1782)
[copyright]
“An ancient road,” they say
How charming
Though beneath this snow.


I have a small book called Praying the Gospels through Poetry: 
LENT TO EASTER by Peggy Rosenthal.  
I’d like to share one of the poems called “Station Six: Compassion" 
by Daniel Berrigan (from Stations: The Way of the Cross), 
which paused with Jesus at that moment when:

A woman        Veronica
(vera ikon        true image)
removed her veil
pressed it gently
against that torment
A gesture        spare        piercing
Above all        consequential
The cloth        drawn away        eccolo!
true image        vera ikon        impressed there
Who hearkens        who cares?
her soul cries 
I must        I must…
a mysterious        quid pro quo      
the afflicted one   vera ikon        cries out-
“I too am human!”

May you walk with our Lord this Triduum
and may His Resurrection, 
our Easter celebration, 
bring blessings upon you and your family.


5 comments:

Mark M. Redfearn said...

A road worth remembering...and taking...

An Ancient Pathway

Janice Adcock said...

Nice take for the prompt and season.

an-ancient-road said...

Thanks for sharing this poem, I really enjoyed it. Perfect for this day of Good Friday.

I commented earlier, don't think it took. Remove if duplicate for me. Thanks.

Ann said...

May we ALL walk the way of the Cross--Jesus paid it all. Have a blessed Easter.
Ann

Kristjaan Panneman said...

Thank you Nonnie