Eternally in My Heart

Eternally in My Heart
Lord, grant Charles eternal rest in Your loving arms.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

NONNIE'S PHOTO A DAY, Day 54: G is for Grand Army of the Republic


GAR: Grand Army of the Republic was a fraternal organization founded in 1866; it was composed of veterans of the Union Army, Union Navy, Marines and the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service who served in the American Civil War for the Northern/Federal forces. 

linked to
hosted this week by
Mrs. Nesbitt, who also created it
It's maintained by Roger
thanks, Roger!




10 comments:

Hildred said...

That is very interesting. Did any of the descendants carry on with GAR?

photowannabe said...

I never heard that name before. Very interesting.

Melody Steenkamp said...

remembering events in historie... always a good thing, and to learn from too


Have a nice abc-day / - week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)

Lea said...

Peaceful cemetery scene

Ann said...

Love this! My paternal grandfather is GAR and has a nice marker on his grave.
Ann

Annie said...

Interesting information. I was familiar with GAR but had the purpose and timing all wrong. Thanks for the new info, Nonnie.

Gattina said...

Interesting !

Gattina
ABC Wednesday
http://gattina-keyholepictures.blogspot.com/

Norma Ruttan said...

Hildred, one must have served during the Civil War in order to be a member of the GAR.

Norma Ruttan said...

Thank you, readers for your comments. I was sifting through my photos to get a word beginning with 'g'; this one was taken in summer of 2014, and for some reason, had not used it. I got the info from the cemetery's web site. I previously had known only about the DAR, which is about preserve the history of the American Revolution.

Roger Owen Green said...

Very intriguing. I always find cemeteries fascinating.
ROG, ABCW